Cinematography: David Watkin
Edited by: Fredric Steinkamp and William Steinkamp
Production Design: Philip Harrison
Associate Producer: Bill Borden
Casting: Nancy Klopper
Art Direction: Richard Dawking, Malcolm Middleton, Austen Spriggs
Set Decoration: Joanne Woollard
Makeup Artist: Madeleine Masters, Neville Smallwood
Hair Stylist: Barry Richardson
Wardrobe Supervisor: Roy Beck
In Loving Memory of Jerry Benjamin and Mary E. Hackford
Best Original Song: "Say You, Say Me" by Lionel Richie
Best Original Song: "Separate Lives (Love Theme from White Nights)" by Stephen Bishop
Tharp teamed up with director Taylor Hackford for the film White Nights, starring Gregory Hines and Mikhail Baryshnikov.
The dance sequences in this film function differently than in Tharp’s previous projects. In Amadeus, the dancing operates as a “play-within-a-play;” in Hair, as one of the musical-theater components. White Nights is a straight play and the actors, who are also world-class dancers, employ the choreography in developing their characters.
Tharp choreographed solos for Hines and Baryshnikov in their signature styles in addition to duets in a composite vocabulary that highlighted each dancer’s strengths.
An excerpt featuring Baryshnikov and Hines.
Songs from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack:
1. "Separate Lives" - Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin
2. "Prove Me Wrong" - David Pack
3. "Far Post" - Robert Plant
4. "People on a String" - Roberta Flack
5. "This Is Your Day" - Nile Rodgers & Sandy Stewart
6. "Snake Charmer" - John Hiatt
7. "The Other Side of the World" - Chaka Khan
8. "My Love Is Chemical" - Lou Reed
9. "Tapdance" - David Foster
10. "People Have Got to Move" - Jenny Burton